Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dial M for.... You Guessed It

If you're single and coming to India during peak wedding season, you are guaranteed to get asked the M question. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone thinks, that in spite of all your hard work and achievements, you're a total loser because you're single! Beta, when will you get married? Beta, why aren't you married? And finally, beta marriage is not such a bad thing. All well-meaning aunties - some hobbling in their walkers - because as we know, noone enjoys a wedding more than an aunty who can't walk very well. During this "M" attack I was supported by some other single cousins on the scene but when they weren't there I had to come up with some creative answers on the fly. Here are some samples:
1. Aunty, i have too many boyfriends. I can't choose. One is too cute, one is too rich and one... well he is just too dumb. Think of my future gene pool!!
2. Aunty, i have a rare disease. It's called marriage-question-phobia. I can't answer you until i'm cured.
3. Aunty, you never taught me how to flirt as well as you do! now, now. give me some pointers.
And this gem, after I actually needed to get 7 shots of anti-rabies vaccines after my own pet dog bit me:
5. Aunty, noone will marry me. I am full of anti-rabies shots.
Of course these answers work well with only some folks. Others, i'm unfortunately left to give them the rote response: Yes! Soon!! Definitely this year, Aunty! Get your favorite sari out :)

4 comments:

Peter Kenny said...

I greatly enjoyed your hypothesis that Aunts who can't walk properly enjoy weddings more than their able bodied equivalents. Presumably when you invoked the 'rabies defence' you neglected to mention that you had been bitten by a dog. For variation why not take an ice axe when visting your relatives in India and state that you wish to be know as Ramona Mercader. If you adopt the last tactic, please post photos in your blog!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I think the list inform should have more info then it has.

sobia said...

i like number 3 the most!